Monday, November 21, 2011

Flashbacks, Howling Joe Walsh, and the Unwashed in the Streets

Joe Walsh, a representative from Illinois, has the Occupy Wall Street people pegged. According to him, "I think these are generally, pampered, unfocused, clueless, young people and a smattering of other people who don't understand this country and are advocating anti American solutions. They don't at all represent America."

In his defense he did pause a couple of times during that first sentence to catch his breath. I know this because I saw the video. He also likes to yell a lot when people ask him a question he deems antagonistic. He raises his voice, he begins to cut off responses. He tells people to be quiet and to listen to him in some sort of bug eyed frenzy. He is a bully and if you wish to challenge him he will begin to get red in the face and he will yell and call you uninformed. He will attack like a cornered beast. He is the poor man's Newt Gingich.

The real Newtonian comments about the Occupy people are this. "They should take a bath and get a job." Well that may not be exact, but it is close.

I've heard this sort of superficial dismissal horse shit before. I was on the south and north ovals of the University of Oklahoma. I was protesting the war in Vietnam. The cat calls from the sidelines were usually, "Get a job," "Why don't you take a bath?" and the most common, "You communist son of a bitch."

A, I was in school and some of the time I had a job, some of the time I didn't. B, I assure everyone I showered every day. C, I am not now, nor have I ever been a communist.

Those denials don't matter though when dealing with the faithful. Everyone to the left of Ann Coulter, Newt Gingrich and all the other cheap jack bullies like Joe Walsh consider democrats and liberals un American. The purity of their belief relegates all opposition to the oily world of treason. Herr Hitler would be proud A couple of old phrases come to mind, "You are either part of the solution, or part of the problem" and "America, Love it or Leave it.

When the tea party rubes ran around Washington a while back as the complete closure of government was a real possibility they held up signs that said, "Shut it all down". That means they advocated that US troops in harms way should not be paid, or re-armed. That means they wanted the entire inter state highway system to crumble into shambles. That means they wanted every lake in the great state of Oklahoma to dry up. It also means old people should starve if their pensions aren't enough to sustain them. Yes, if the company they worked for all their lives squandered their pension, well the ice floe is over there, pray for the quick swipe from the polar bear's claws.


It is an ugly flashback. These yokels, who were educated in segregated public schools, are an awful lot. They have no argument, so they have to yell at the top of their lungs. They have to shout people down because reason is not on their side.

Every now and then I think evolution is a myth. The howling and brutality and faux martyrdom that spews from them cannot come from anything but apes trapped in trees who have been speared by poisonous darts. Back in the day, I parked my VW in an OKC grocery store parking lot. When I came out my driver's side wing window had been broken into, my car seat and steering wheel had been spit on profusely and my McGovern for President bumper sticker had been torn off.

I know these brutal thugs and I loathe them.


Here is to the people who have the guts to sit passively and get pepper sprayed by some out of control cop. Here is to those who say no to the greed and the incompetent speculation by the goofs who run Wall Street. Here is to those who say enough of this right wing crap that infests us like a cancer.

America is better than the tea party and the hard right of the republican party

We always have been. We always will be.

That is why I still believe in this nation.

11-21-11

No comments:

Post a Comment